This post by Ben Tedore
Title: Farm Supervisor
Project: High Desert Farming Initiative
Location: Reno, NV
The High Desert Farming Initiative (HDFI) is a collaborative project between the University of Nevada, Reno (UNR) Colleges of Business (COB) and Agriculture, Biotechnology and Natural Resources (CABNR), and community groups. The project goals center around applied agricultural research, university and community education, and outreach. The Farm Supervisor will direct the daily farming activities of the HDFI which includes eight hoop houses, two greenhouses and a storage facility.
Essential Job Functions:
- Directs and participates in worker activities, such as planting, irrigation, chemical application, harvesting and grading.
- Coordinates growing activities with those of marketing, UNR facilities maintenance, and other related departments.
- Discusses with operations team to determine acreage allocations.
- Records information, such as production, farm management practices, and parent stock, and prepares operational reports.
- Determines procedural changes in drying, grading, storage, and shipment for greater efficiency and accuracy.
- Analyzes soil to determine type and quantity of fertilizer required for maximum production.
- Inspects equipment to ensure proper functioning
- Inspects fields and houses to determine maturity dates of crops or to estimate potential crop damage from weather.
- Purchases machinery, equipment, and supplies, such as seed, fertilizer, and chemicals.
- Manages student interns, volunteers and field workers while enforcing safety regulations and interpreting policies.
- Communicates with operational team to prepare budget forecasts, estimate revenue projections and purchases.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Agricultural or related field with at least two years of paid farming experience – one year of which should be supervisory or management
- Additional experience may be substituted for the educational requirements
- Experience with hoop houses and greenhouses required
- Experience in data collection preferred
- Dependent on experience
Please email a resume to the Project Manager, Jennifer Ott: firstname.lastname@example.org.